Royal Wedding Cake photo
The official wedding cake is to be made by Fiona Cairns, a businesswoman who has gone from kitchen table baking to selling her creations to the country’s best-known stores.
The confectionery masterpiece covered in cream and white icing and decorated with up to 900 delicate sugar-paste flowers was centre-stage at the Buckingham Palace reception held in the picture gallery.
The project has left cake-maker Fiona Cairns exhausted but elated after working for five weeks on it which has tested her skills and those of her team to the limit.
The eight-tiered Royal Wedding cake decorated with 900 sugar-paste flowers
Kate Middleton has produced detailed plans for the cake, which will form the centrepiece of the Buckingham Palace royal wedding reception.
The cake will be decorated with Prince William and Kate’s new cipher – thought to feature the couple’s entwined initials – which will be officially released on their wedding day.
The Royal Wedding Cake Detail
Flowers featured on the cake
(Kate gave detailed instructions to include 17 different blooms and foliage for their meaning or symbolism – known as the “language of flowers”)
1. Rose (white) – national symbol of England
2. Daffodil – national symbol of Wales, new beginnings
3. Shamrock – national symbol of Ireland
4. Thistle – national symbol of Scotland
5. Acorns, oak leaf – strength, endurance
6. Myrtle – love
7. Ivy – wedded love, marriage
8. Lily of the valley – sweetness, humility
9. Rose (bridal) – happiness, love
10. Sweet William – grant me one smile
11. Honeysuckle – the bond of love
12. Apple blossom – preference, good fortune
13. White heather - protection, wishes will come true
14. Jasmine (white) – amiability
15. Daisy - innocence, beauty, simplicity
16. Orange blossom - marriage, eternal love, fruitfulness
17. Lavender – ardent attachment, devotion, success, and luck.
Kate Middleton’s bouquet was unusual in that it was small and subtle, apparently made almost entirely from lily of the valley, and so seasonal it could have been plucked from gardens on the way… Read more…
Kate Middleton has married Prince William in a dress designed by Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen.The designer was only named as the bride, 29, arrived at Westminster Abbey with her father Michael… Read more
Top 20 Engagement Rings by Blue Nile
royal wedding cake (13)